Earlier this year, I drafted a list of 44 things to do before I turn 44 years of age. That happens on December 14, 2013. Just a few short months, really. I promised an update at some point along the way, primarily as an incentive to make myself accountable. I think blogging it helped motivate me tremendously.
1. Try 10 new recipes. – I’ve been doing a really good job on this one. Banana pudding, easy lasagna, ebelskivers, hummus, etc. I’ll be at 10 before I know it. Then I’ll pick a day and share the recipes.
2. Complete 6 needlework projects. (Finished one today!) – I’m not sure I’ll make it to six but I finished the one mentioned, have all but the background done on one and have gotten pretty far into another. I also did a rather small one for Ryder and it just occurred to me that I never gave it to her :) So yeah, maybe I will get to 6!
3. Be a more engaged parent. Sometimes I feel like I’m in the room but not tuned in. I need to improve this. – This one is hard for me now that the kids are older. They don’t want read to, they have no interest in my hobbies and I don’t play video games. But I’ve been playing a few games and making a concerted effort to listen in a more intent manner when they want to engage in conversation. I’m easily distractible, which doesn’t help. But I’m making improvements.
4. Have a professional massage. Or 2!
5. Volunteer at least 60 hours. – Getting there!
6. Paint 2 things at the Painted Pig.
7. Buy a pair of cowboy boots.
8. Visit my daughter at college! - We just dropped her off last weekend and have plans to attend family weekend in September, so barring something unexpected, I’ll easily manage to meet this goal.
9. YOLO board in Watercolor, FL on Hwy. 30-A. – We did this on our vacation in July and it was a great experience. I want a YOLO board now and I want to find a place to enjoy the sport locally. Success! CHECK!
10. Learn to make a great chocolate cake.
11. Successfully make “Cupcake Cafe” buttercream.
12. Design a crewel stocking pattern.
13. Save $1000 using coupons and rebates. – This is not going so hot. Need to step it up!
14. Blog photo tips on a regular basis.
15. Paint entire kitchen white and then go from there with kitchen decor….
16. Buy rainchains for the corners of our house.
17. Re-do/paint our front porch.
18. Make peace, or attempt to, with someone I don’t get along with. – (I did this. It’s overrated.) - CHECK!
19. Learn to use Netflix via the PS3 without the assistance of someone 13 or under. Or Chuck. - Wyatt pointed out that it’s just as easy if not more so, to use Netflix on my laptop so I guess I’ll consider this one a CHECK!
20. Climb Pinnacle Mountain again. The hard side.
21. Take a vacation with just Chuck. – It’s scheduled for Labor Day weekend to celebrate 20 years! Yay! Fairmont Dallas, here we come!
22. Visit Eric & Stephanie in St. Louis! - We had a fantastic time even though it was a whirlwind trip to St. Louis and we only had time for lunch at Pappy’s Smokehouse. But the food and company was great. I had not seen Stephanie since she moved to Kentucky in 2nd grade! And Eric since he left in junior high. GREAT time! CHECK!
23. Weigh 135. – I’m steadily heading toward this goal but need to step it up if I do it before I’m 44.
24. Rewatch all Seinfeld episodes. - I bought season one to start. May not get through ALL of them but you never know.
25. Read 10 books. - I’ll easily reach this goal!
26. Paint the living room.
27. Buy a desk for myself. – Did it at IKEA when we took Ryder to orientation at TCU. I had to compromise on color but it’s grown on me. CHECK
28. Compile dad’s Vietnam pictures into a book for him. (I guess after posting this it won’t be a surprise.)
29. Open an ETSY shop.
30. Camp with Tcheanina and all our boys. – The summer has kinda of gotten away from us. Didn’t realize how much other travel would consume my time. But I haven’t completely ruled it out!
31. Start my “other” blog.
32. Photograph 10 dogs.
33. Draw & paint for fun. On a regular basis.
34. Launch a black & white division of Buttry Photography. - In progress
35. Organize my home completely. Room by room. Closet by closet.
36. Keep a “good things” jar. – CHECK, or in progress, anyway!
37. Visit Albert Pike Recreation Area for the first time since the flood.
38. Frame my needlework projects. – I’ve had lots and lots of these done! Yay!
39. Walk the dog more. – Ummmm……
40. Have another trip with just my mom. – She went to orientation with Ryder and me so if we don’t fit in another, I’ll count that. Had a great time.
41. See 5 movies at the theater with Chuck. - Working on this one too. Have seen a couple of them. The Vow. The one about magic. Working on this one too.
42. Learn to make really good & pretty sugar cookies.
43. Keep an art journal. – CHECK, in progress, but not as much as I’d like to.
44. Practice random acts of kindness. 26 at least. For Newtown, CT. - I’ve done a lot of these. Very proud of myself. Anonymous, when possible and gives you a great feeling.